The following is a list of graduate and undergraduate courses that are relevant to Place Studies.
The English Department also offers a concentration in Place Studies for Undergraduate majors. The details and requirements of this concentration are available here or by scheduling an appointment with the English Advising Office.
This is not an exhaustive list of all of the courses that are Place Studies related. Other courses, including special topics courses, often focus on place-related topics. Please contact our core and affiliate faculty members to inquire about forthcoming courses they intend to teach with a focus on Place.
Graduate Students may be interested in the forthcoming seminars with Place Studies content.
Sections of English 101, 150, and 151 are taught with an emphasis on Place Studies. Please consult the English department at the beginning of the semester to see if these sections are being offered during the current semester.
Other courses regularly taught include:
- ENGL 211 Literature of Place
- ENGL 243 National Literatures
- ENGL 245N Intro Native Am. Lit.
- ENGL 251 Intro to Creative Nonfiction Writing
- ENGL 254 Writing and Communities
- ENGL 317 Literature and Environment
- ENGL 347 Humanities on the Plains
- ENGL 411 Plains Literature
- ENGL 417 Topics in Place Studies and Environmental Humanities
- ENGL 445B Topics in African Lit.
- ENGL 445N Topics in Native Am. Lit.
- ENGL 451 Advanced Writing of Creative Nonfiction
- ENGL 454 Advanced Writing Projects
- ENGL 482 Literacy and Community Issues
Graduate Coursescurrent and upcoming
ENGL 817 Topics in Place Studies and Environmental Humanities
“Literature of the Anthropocene”
Instructor: Tom Lynch
ENGL 965 Seminar in Interdisciplinary Nineteenth-Century Studies
”Green Romanticism and the Cult(ivation) of Nature”
Instructor: Stephen Behrendt
ENGL 405N-805N Topics in Native American Literature
“Ideas and Visions: Native American Nonfiction”
Instructor: Tom Gannon
ENGL 852A Writing Creative Nonfiction
Instructor: Joy Castro
ENGL 482-882 Literacy and Community
Instructor: Rachael W. Shaw
ENGL 992B Place Conscious Education
Instructor: Robert Brooke