How to Enter
- Authors' names must not appear anywhere in the submitted files or the filenames.
- Submit one file for each contest you are entering. Each file must be a PDF or Word document (.pdf, .doc or .docx) following this format:
- 12 pt font
- black text
- single spaced for poetry, double spaced for prose
- 1" margins
- Fill out this form only once per year. If you are entering multiple creative writing contests, you should submit all of your materials at the same time.
- The deadline for 2022-23 will be announced in spring on this page and on the Writing Contests page.
Please note that this form is for creative writing contests only. (The Undergraduate Gaffney Scholarly/Critical Essay contest, for example, uses a different form.) Refer to the links and details for each contest on the Writing Contests page.
- Contests are open only to currently enrolled UNL students.
- Graduate contests are open only to UNL English graduate students.
- Graduate students are eligible to submit to contests they’ve won in previous years.
- Undergraduate contests are open to UNL students of any major unless specified
- Undergraduates are not eligible to submit to contests they have already won in previous years.
- No more than one prize award will be given to any individual in the same year.
- Students who are UNL employees will have federal and state withholding deductions reflected in their award check.