Finding Resources and Support

UNL encourages any person subjected to sexual misconduct to seek assistance and support. There are several resources available to you.

Call 911

If there is a crime in progress or you need immediate medical care or safety measures, call 911. You can also text campus police at 402-472-0800.

Seek Help from Law Enforcement

Contact Campus Police (UPD) or local law enforcement to seek safety measures or report a crime. UPD is obligated to report allegations of sexual misconduct to the Title IX Coordinator for investigation of Title IX violations.

University Police Department
300 N 17th St
(402) 472-2222
UPD Specific Crime Reporting Information - Sexual Assault

Lincoln Police Department
575 S 10th St, Lincoln, NE 68508
(402) 441-6000

Lancaster County Sheriff’s Office
575 S 10th St, Lincoln, NE 68508

(402) 441-6500

Seek Medical Care

Contact a Medical Facility if you need medical care or a rape kit.

Bryan Medical Center West
2300 S. 16th St., Lincoln NE 68502
(402) 481-1111

Bryan Medical Center East
1600 S. 48th St., Lincoln NE 68506
(402) 481-1111

Saint Elizabeth Regional Medical Center
555 S. 70th St., Lincoln NE 68510
(402) 219-8000

University Health Center
550 N. 19th St., Lincoln, NE 68588
(402) 472-5000.
Check the UHC website for hours. UHC can provide ongoing medical care. UHC does not have an emergency room and is unable to conduct rape kits.

Talk to a friend, parent or other supportive person.

UNL encourages you to report to local law enforcement and university authorities any sexual harassment or misconduct directed toward you. However, not everyone is ready to make such a call or report concerns right away. Your safety and welfare is of utmost concern to the university. Therefore, to the extent you are not ready to report to local or campus authorities, we encourage you to seek guidance from those closest to you. When doing so, please keep in mind the university’s obligations to investigate received reports.

Confidential Resources

There are certain individuals on campus and in the community who you can talk to in near complete confidence. These individuals have no responsibility to take action, report to law enforcement, or report to the university the information you share with them, so long as the individual is acting in their role as counselor, advocate, medical provider, or attorney at the time you share your concerns. Please be advised, if you share your concerns only with these individuals, the university will not conduct an investigation unless you take further action to inform campus authorities of your concerns, or the university learns about your situation from another source.

The following are UNL confidential contacts:

  • Center for Advocacy, Response and Education (CARE)
    (402) 472-3553
  • Voices of Hope 24-Hour Crisis Line
    (402) 475-7273
  • Counseling and Psychological Services
    (402) 472-7450
  • Student Legal Services
    (402) 472-3350
  • Psychological Consultation Center (PCC)
    325 Burnett Hall, City Campus
    (402) 472-2351
  • Counseling and School Psychology Clinic
    49 Teachers College Hall, City Campus
    (402) 472-1152
  • UNL Athletics (for athletes)
    Osborne Athletic Complex
    800 Stadium Drive, City Campus
    (402) 472-2276
    • Athletic Psychologist, Brett Haskell
    • Associate AD of Athletic Medicine, Lonnie Albers
    • Director of Sports Psychology, Todd Stull
    • Team Doctors
      • David Clare
      • Robert Dugas
      • Justin Harris
  • UNL Employee Assistance Program (for UNL employees only)
    128 501 Bldg
    (402) 472-3107

While Confidential Resources do not have an obligation to take action or to initiate a campus investigation, they do have an obligation to report statistical information regarding some crimes, including sexual assault, dating violence, domestic violence and stalking to campus police for the purpose of annual crime statistic reporting. They may also have an obligation to report non-identifying information to the Title IX Coordinator for the purpose of addressing campus climate. Medical providers may have a responsibility to report certain crimes to local law enforcement as required by state law.

The following are persons outside of the UNL community who you may talk to on a confidential basis and who do not have any reporting obligation to UNL:

  • Pastors of your choice.
  • Licensed psychologists, therapists or counselors. Some of these providers will charge a fee for their services. Here are some community providers:
    • Lincoln Behavioral Health Clinic
      3201 Pioneers Blvd., Ste. 202, Lincoln, NE 68502
      (402) 489-9959.
    • The DOVES Program, Gering, NE
      (308) 436-4357
      Spanish: (877) 215-0167
    • RADP (Rape Domestic Abuse Program), Valentine, NE
      (877) 376-2080
    • Domestic Abuse/Sexual Assault Services, McCook, NE
      (308) 345-5534
    • Parent-Child Center, Lexington, NE
      Office: (308) 324-2336 or (308) 324-2337
      Crisis Line: (308) 324-3040
      Español: (308) 324-1942
    • Sandhills Crisis Center, Ogallala, NE
      (877) 836-6055
    • Rape/Domestic Abuse Program, North Platte. NE
      Office: (308) 532-0624
      Crisis Line: (308) 534-3495
    • The S.A.F.E Center, Kearney, NE.
      (877) 237-2513
    • The Crisis Center, Inc., Grand Island, NE
      (308) 381-0555
    • Spouse Abuse/Sexual Assault Crisis Center, Hastings, NE
      (402) 463-4677
    • Center for Sexual Assault and Domestic Violence Survivors, Columbus, NE
      (800) 658-4482
    • Haven House, Wayne, NE
      Crisis Line: (800) 440-4633
    • Bright Horizons, Norfolk, NE
      Crisis Line: (877) 379-3798
    • Project Response, Auburn, NE
      (800) 456-5764
    • Hope Crisis Center, Fairbury, NE
      (877) 388-4673
    • The Bridge, Fremont, NE
      (888) 721-4340
    • Heartland Family Service Domestic Abuse Program, Papillion, NE
      Crisis Line: (402) 292-5888
    • Catholic Charities - The Shelter, Omaha, NE
      (402) 558-5700
  • Lawyers or legal assistance. Below are free or reduced legal services which may be helpful to you.
    • Legal Aid of Nebraska
      • Omaha - 209 S 19th St #200, Omaha, NE 68102

        Phone: (402) 348-1069
        Fax: (402) 348-1068
      • Lincoln - 941 "O" Street, Suite 825, Lincoln, NE, 68508
        Phone: (402) 435-2161
        Fax: (402) 435-2171
      • Scottsbluff - 1423 1st Ave, Scottsbluff, NE, 69363
        Phone: (308) 632-4734
        Fax: (308) 632-3844
      • North Platte – 102 East 3rd Street, Suite 102, North Platte, NE, 69101
        Phone: (877) 250-2016
      • Norfolk - 214 No. 7th St. Suite 10, Norfolk, NE 68701
        Phone: (402) 644-4761
      • Other Legal Aid office locations can be found at
    • Legal Aid of Nebraska, Nebraska State Bar Association, Jean McNeil, (800) 927-0117. Information about the services provided by the NSBA is available at

Contact the Title IX Coordinator

Contact the Title IX Coordinator or the Office of Institutional Equity and Compliance at (402) 472-3417 to file seek supportive measures and file a formal complaint.

Meagan Counley, Title IX Coordinator (
University of Nebraska–Lincoln
Office of Institutional Equity and Compliance
128 Canfield Administration Building, Lincoln, NE 68588-0437
Phone: (402) 472-3417

Supportive Measures

Supportive measures are individualized services offered to Complainants and Respondents. Supportive measures are meant to restore or preserve equal access to the university activities without unreasonably burdening the other party. Supportive measures may include

  • Counseling
  • Extensions of deadlines or other course-related adjustments
  • Modifications of work or class schedules
  • Campus safety escort services
  • Mutual restrictions on contact between the parties
  • Changes in work or housing locations
  • Leaves of absence
  • Increased security and monitoring of certain areas of the campus

The measures may be offered before or after a Formal Complaint has been filed, or in situations where no Formal Complaint has been filed. Institutional Equity and Compliance will keep supportive measures confidential to the extent possible while being able to enact the measures.

See University of Nebraska Board of Regents Policies RP-2.1.8 Sexual Misconduct Policy D.18. Supportive Measures, Procedures for Sexual Misconduct Reports Against Employees, H. Supportive Measures, and Procedures for Sexual Misconduct Reports Against Students, H. Supportive Measures for details.

Other UNL Resources

  • LGBTQA+ Resource Center
    Director, Pat Tetreault
    346 NE Union
    (402) 472-1752
  • Women’s Center
    Director, Pat Tetreault
    340 Nebraska Union
    (402) 472-2598
  • Student Affairs
    Vice Chancellor, Laurie Bellows
    106 Canfield Administration South
    (402) 472-9685
  • Services for Students with Disabilities
    Director, Sam Goodin
    232 Canfield Administration Building
    (402) 472-3787
  • Human Resources (for employees)
    Assistant Vice Chancellor, Bruce Currin
    407 Canfield Administration South
    (402) 472-3105

Other Community Resources

  • End Sexual and Domestic Violence
    (402) 476-6256
  • Women’s Center for Advancement, 222 S. 29th St. Omaha
    (402) 345-6555
    24/7 Crisis Hotline: (402) 345-7273
    Español Hotline: (402) 672-7118
  • National Sexual Assault Hotline