In this program, students earn a Master of Science degree with an Architecture major.
The Master of Science is a research-oriented program. In addition to the specialization in Interior Design, students can pursue an area of study from a variety of options (the faculty areas of expertise are listed below). Applicants must have an undergraduate degree in architecture, interior design, or a closely related field.
The College of Architecture is headquartered in Architecture Hall. Constructed in the early 1890s and designated as the university library in 1894, Architecture Hall is the oldest and most distinctive of the occupied structures on the University of Nebraska-Lincoln City Campus. Architecture Hall provides students with an outstanding library and laboratories for computing, photography, woodwork, and metalwork.
For funding consideration, apply by March 1 for fall or by November 1 for spring.
Graduate Admission Requirements
- Application for Admission with $50 non-refundable application fee.
- One set of transcripts.
- If the student’s native language is not English, verification of English proficiency is required.
- If International: upload copies of all college- or university-level transcripts or mark sheets (records of courses and marks earned), with certiﬁcates, diplomas, and degrees plus certiﬁed English translations.
* Official documents are required from all students who are admitted and enroll. Photocopies of certiﬁed records are not acceptable. International students enrolled in other U.S. institutions may have certiﬁed copies of all foreign records sent directly to the Office of Graduate Studies by their current school’s registrar office.
- If applicant is not a US citizen and expects an F or J visa: financial information.
- Applicants must also fulfill any additional requirements the department specifies at the time of application.
Major Admission Requirements
- Three letters of recommendation
- Personal Statement: This statement of research goals should address the following questions:
- Why do you want a master's degree?
- What are your research interests?
- What are your academic goals?
- Is there a faculty member with whom you would like to work?
- Portfolio: Prepare a multi-page PDF of design work.
- Interior design specialization (fall admission only) for full financial consideration, students must apply by January 15.
- All other programs, for full financial consideration, students must apply by January 15 for Fall, November 1 for Spring.
- Otherwise: Rolling Admission.
NOTE: When sending GRE or TOEFL scores, our institution code is 6877 and a department code is not needed
* Updates to graduate program pages are made on an annual basis in conjunction with the Graduate Application for Admission.
The University of Nebraska does not discriminate based on race, color, ethnicity, national origin, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, disability, age, genetic information, veteran status, marital status, and/or political affiliation in its programs, activities, or employment.