FAQ: Frequently Asked Questions

Contacting Graduate Studies

How do I contact the Office of Graduate Studies?
See Contact Us.

Program Information

What programs do you offer?
Search for a particular research area or specialization in our programs offered list. A complete list of majors organized by college can be found in our majors by college list.
What programs are offered online?
See online graduate degrees and certificates for a list of programs that can be completed entirely online. Some programs offer select courses online; consult the schedule of classes to locate these.
What courses will transfer into my program?
Acceptance of transfer credits for graduate courses completed at another institution is determined by the academic department. No more than half of the required coursework can be transferred.
Can I have materials mailed to me?
All materials available from the Office of Graduate Studies are available online. Contact your academic department to request program-specific materials. Contact information for your program can be found on our graduate program summaries.
How do I make arrangements to visit campus?
See Visiting Campus.

Application Process

What materials are required to apply?
View your department's graduate program summary for application requirements and the Steps to Admission for details about how to apply.
Do I need to submit my University of Nebraska-Lincoln transcript?
No, the Office of Graduate Studies will request this transcript after you apply. See more information on academic transcripts.
When is the deadline?
Locate the deadline for your intended program in our graduate program summaries or see Deadlines for more information.
Where do I send my application materials?
See Contact Us for our mailing address. For fastest processing apply online, claim your account in TrueYou, and upload unofficial transcripts to MyRED. For most degree and certificate programs, you'll also be prompted to submit departmental application materials online via MyRED. A few programs collect their materials offline instead — see your program's graduate program summary for more information. Alternatively, you may also send all application materials in one envelope to the Office of Graduate Studies, and we will forward supporting materials to the academic department.
What is the GRE institution code?
The University of Nebraska-Lincoln's institution code is 6877. You do not need to enter a departmental code as all scores are processed centrally.
What is the minimum GRE score?
The University of Nebraska-Lincoln does not have a minimum GRE score for admission. If your academic department requires or recommends submission of GRE scores, you may want to ask them what scores are considered competitive for your program.
How do I change information submitted on my online application?
Requests must be received in writing; email graduate@unl.edu and include first and last name, NUID (if possible), and details of request.
Will I get admitted?
Graduate committees in each department decide who is admissible for their programs. These decisions are based on many factors from academic preparation to fit within the program. These factors can only be assessed during a thorough review of all application materials.
How do I check the status of my application?
See Application Status.
How long does the admission process take?
Each department has a Graduate Admissions Committee that decides whether a student will be accepted into their program. The frequency of committee meetings varies; contact your academic department for information regarding your application status. Refer to Steps to Admission for other processing times.
Can I defer my admission to a later term?
Requests must be received in writing; email graduate@unl.edu and include first and last name, NUID, and which term you would like to defer admission to. We will coordinate any deferment request with the academic program for final approval.
How do I cancel my application?
Requests must be received in writing; email graduate@unl.edu and include first and last name, NUID, and details of request.

Application fee

Do I have to pay the application fee?
See Application Fee for details and to see if you are exempt.
I am applying to more than one program; do I have to pay multiple application fees?
See Applying to Multiple Programs.
How do I pay the application fee?
See Application Fee.
I already submitted the online application, how do I submit payment?
See Application Fee for all payment options.


Is my degree equivalent to a U.S. bachelor's degree?
See Degree Equivalency
What tests are accepted for proof of English proficiency?
See English Proficiency.
What is your TOEFL institution code?
The University of Nebraska-Lincoln's institution code 6877.
What is the minimum TOEFL score?
See English Proficiency.


How much is tuition?
Tuition costs are determined by the Board of Regents and announced in July for the upcoming year. Try our Cost Estimator for a customized estimate using the latest published rates. See Tuition, Fees, and Funding for general information or Student Accounts for detailed listings of fees and rates.
What financial assistance is available?
  • Most funding is limited to full-time, degree-seeking students and is awarded by individual departments. Tuition, Fees, and Funding has information about general funding opportunities.
  • Contact your intended academic department to inquire about available assistantships and fellowships and whether additional steps are required for funding consideration. Departmental contact information can be found on graduate program summaries.
  • Contact the Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid for information about financial aid, such as student loans.
How do I pay for my courses?
Consult Student Accounts for information on billing and payment processes. Graduate assistants can defer September and February bills which include tuition and fees for 30 days to allow for the receipt of two assistantship paychecks before making payment. Graduate assistants are paid on a monthly basis.
How can I become a resident of Nebraska?
To see if you might qualify for residency for tuition purposes, download the Application for Residence Classification for Tuition Purposes and read the document carefully. If you wish to apply, submit the completed residency application and supporting materials to the Office of Graduate Studies.

Degree completion

What forms do I need to complete my program?
Downloadable forms with directions and deadlines are available online for master's, doctoral, and Ed.S. students.
Who is my advisor?
If assigned, your advisor and/or committee will appear in MyRED. Otherwise contact your department. Contact information is on each program summary.
How can I change advisors?
Request the change with your department's Graduate Chair. If a different advisor has already been established for you, appearing in MyRED, the graduate chair will need to send an email to the relevant Graduate Studies program coordinator to make the change.
How can I change my memorandum of courses or program of study?
Your faculty advisor should send an email to the relevant program coordinator detailing the change.
How can I change a member of my committee?
Complete the Change of Committee form as described in the Committee section of the doctoral steps to degree completion.
How do I obtain my University of Nebraska-Lincoln transcripts?
See Ordering Transcripts.
When is graduation?
Commencement ceremonies are held in May, August, and December each year.  See Commencement Schedule for dates and times.


How do I get my password to access TrueYou and MyRED?
See About MyRED.
How do I get my NUID?
You will receive your NUID by email after completing the Graduate Application for Admission. Otherwise, contact us.
How do I sign in to complete department-specific application requirements?
Sign into MyRED, go to Admissions > Graduate, and select "Application Status in Your Academic Department". Allow one business day after applying for us to set up your access to this link. See Application Status for more information. This departmental tool is also known as GAMES, the departmental Graduate Admissions Management and Evaluation System.


Where's the course catalog?
The Graduate Catalog contains descriptions of graduate courses. The Schedule of Classes shows when they're offered for a particular semester or session, with days, times, locations, and instructors.
How do I register for classes?
See Enrolling in Courses. Registering for classes is easy using the online student self-service site, MyRED. See the Academic Calendar for dates of open registration.  New international graduate students must check in at the Office of Graduate Studies before registering for classes.
How many credits should I register for?
See Enrolling in Courses: Course Load.
What courses should I take?
Consult your advisor in determining what courses you should take prior to having your program of study approved by your advisor or supervisory committee. MyRED makes it easy to drop and add courses, but you are responsible for tuition and fees for any course you register for, so be sure to pay attention to the drop deadlines.
What if I need to change my course registrations?
During the open enrollment period, you can manage your course choices in MyRED. After open enrollment, Graduate Studies can assist with adjusting your schedule.  Consult the relevant program coordinator to understand how the changes will impact your program of study.  International students should also consult the International Student and Scholar Office before making any course schedule changes.
How do I take a class before my official admission term?
Contact the Office of Graduate Studies at graduate@unl.edu to request your admission term be changed to an earlier term. In most instances, we are able to accommodate these requests. You should discuss this option with your department.  Allow three to five business days for us to process your request.