Graduate Certificate Program Summary
The Early Childhood Special Education (ECSE) graduate certificate is a 12 credit hour program designed to provide educators and others with specialty coursework focused on young children birth to age 5 years who have developmental disabilities. This graduate certificate does not result in a teaching endorsement in ECSE.
The graduate certificate program is well-suited for educators who desire additional training for their current jobs as well as graduate students in related fields whose professions serve young children with disabilities. Non-teachers in fields such as physical, occupational or speech therapy,and psychology can enhance their work with young children and their families, further developing their professional skills and improving their marketability.
Teachers interested in adding ECSE specialization to their current teaching certificate should contact the ECSE Certificate Advisor who can provide information on an appropriate program of study leading to an ECSE endorsement.
Application checklist and deadlines
1. Required by Graduate Studies
Submit these items as part of the standard steps to admission.
- Application for Admission with $50 non-refundable application fee
- One set of transcripts uploaded to MyRED
- If your native language is not English: verification of English proficiency
- If you are not a US citizen and you hold an F1 visa: concurrent admission to a degree program, because a certificate alone is not sufficient for F1 status
2. Required by the department
After you apply, allow one business day for us to set up your access so you can complete these requirements via MyRED.
- Letter of Intent
- Department Graduate Certificate Application Form
- Three Letters of Recommendation
- GPA of 3.0 or higher (undergraduate and/or graduate)
- Completion of at least one course in special education with a grade of B or better
- Previous experience working in schools or community settings with young children or students with disabilities of any age (preferred)
- Minimum English proficiency: Paper TOEFL 550, Internet TOEFL 79, IELTS 6.5