Graduate Fellowships for Current Students
Questions about fellowships can be directed to Caroline Knuth, Fellowship Specialist.
Fellowship application timeline
To be considered for fellowship funding for 2017-18, complete your materials by 1:00 PM on Wednesday, February 8, 2017.
Required materials are your application form, personal statement, CV, and two faculty recommendations, submitted online as described below.
We accept applications each winter for the following academic year; we update this page and its application materials each year in November/December.
Eligibility to apply for fellowship funding for the 2017-18 academic year is determined by three factors:
- Credit Hours Completed
- Domestic students (US citizens) must have completed 9 hours of graduate credit at UNL by December 31, 2016.
- International students must have completed 18 hours of graduate credit at UNL by December 31, 2016.
- Full-Time Enrollment: Students must be enrolled full-time (9 hours), or be eligible to be full-time certified, during the academic year 2017-18.
- Academic Program: Students must be admitted into a graduate major, with a specific degree objective. Non-degree students are not eligible to apply.
If you are not currently enrolled as a UNL graduate student, you are not eligible for these awards. Instead, contact your department to ask about opportunities for fellowships for new students or graduate assistantships.
Graduate students who are regular employees of the University of Nebraska are not eligible to receive fellowship funding. Students with student hourly appointments or graduate assistantships are not considered regular employees and are eligible to apply.
The Presidential Fellowship is awarded to advanced doctoral or MFA students. There were three Presidential recipients for the 2016-17 academic year; the number awarded will be determined based on available funding. The fellowship stipend is $24,000 for the academic year. This award also includes tuition, fees, and the University's portion of the student health insurance. Eligible students must be scheduled to graduate no later than August 2018.
The Fling Fellowship is awarded to advanced masters or doctoral students. Masters students must be within one year of graduation and doctoral students must be within two years of graduation. The fellowship stipend is $20,000. There were three Fling recipients for the 2016-17 academic year; the number to be awarded will be determined based on available funding. This award also includes tuition, fees, and the University's portion of the student health insurance.
The Dean's Fellowship will be awarded to the remaining students who are ranked in the top 10% of the fellowship applicant pool.
Be ready to compete!
Last year 54 students applied for fellowships and 17 of them received fellowship funds.
(not part of this fellowship application process)
Doctoral students may be eligible for the Day Dissertation Travel Award.
How to apply
To be considered for a fellowship, complete these two forms online before the deadline, which is shown at the top of this page and the application form.
1. Application Form
Before you begin, be sure you have:
- Two faculty members who agree to serve as recommenders and a valid email address for each. Recommenders will be asked to complete a short evaluation form and a descriptive assessment.
- Your NUID number.
Submitting the application form triggers automated emails:
- To you: a confirmation. (If you do not receive it, please contact us.)
- To your recommenders: An individualized link to a recommendation form.
2. Supplemental Form
- Content: See form for descriptions of what should be in your statement and CV.
- Format: The form collects plain text only. Compose your text ahead of time, then paste it into our form when ready.
- Timing: This form will accept your submission only after you have completed the application form.
After you apply
Your application file will be complete when we have your application, your statement and CV, and two completed recommendation forms from faculty.
If the application deadline is getting close and your checklist still shows that a recommendation is missing, your recommender might appreciate a reminder. The faculty page will continue to accept recommendations for a few days after the application deadline.
After the deadline, faculty reviewers will begin evaluating all of the application files.