Graduate Fellowships for Current Students
The Presidential Fellowship is awarded to advanced doctoral or MFA students. The fellowship is $24,000. This award also includes tuition, fees, and the University's portion of the student health insurance for one academic year. Eligible students must be scheduled to graduate no later than August 2019.
The Fling Fellowship is awarded to advanced masters or doctoral students. Masters students must be within one year of graduation and doctoral students must be within two years of graduation. The fellowship is $20,000. This award also includes tuition, fees, and the University's portion of the student health insurance for one academic year.
The Dean's Fellowship will be awarded to advanced masters or doctoral students. The fellowship is $5,000.
How to apply
To be considered for fellowship funding for 2018-19, complete your materials as described below by 3:00 PM on Friday, March 30, 2018.
Be ready to compete!
Last year 54 students applied for fellowships and 17 of them received fellowship funds.
Part 1: Confirm Your Eligibility
Eligibility to apply for fellowship funding for the 2018-19 academic year is determined by three factors:
- Credit Hours Completed
- Domestic students (US citizens) must have completed 9 hours of graduate credit at UNL by December 31, 2017.
- International students must have completed 18 hours of graduate credit at UNL by December 31, 2017.
- Full-Time Enrollment: Students must be enrolled full-time (9 hours), or be eligible to be full-time certified, during the academic year 2018-19.
- Academic Program: Students must be admitted into a graduate major, with a specific degree objective. Non-degree students are not eligible to apply.
If you are not currently enrolled as a UNL graduate student, you are not eligible for these awards. Instead, contact your department to ask about opportunities for fellowships for new students or graduate assistantships.
Graduate students who are regular employees of the University of Nebraska are not eligible to receive fellowship funding. Students with student hourly appointments or graduate assistantships are not considered regular employees and are eligible to apply.
Part 2: Submit Your Application Materials
Before you begin, be sure you have:
- Your NUID number.
- Two faculty members who agree to serve as recommenders and a valid email address for each. Recommenders will be asked to complete a short evaluation form and a descriptive assessment.
- Your Personal Statement and CV in plain text format, ready to paste into the webform. See form for descriptions of what should be in your statement and CV.
Apply: Fellowship Application Form
Submitting this form triggers automated emails to your recommenders, plus a confirmation email to you. (If you do not receive it, please contact us.)
Make sure your recommenders submit their recommendations to complete your application.
If the application deadline is getting close and your checklist still shows that a recommendation is missing, your recommender might appreciate a reminder.
After the deadline, faculty reviewers will begin evaluating completed applications.