Graduate Certificate Program Summary
The Medical Family Therapy certificate program offers intensive training in medical family therapy and collaborative health care. Trainees will learn how to work with patients and their families who are experiencing physical, emotional, relational and spiritual difficulties related to acute and chronic illnesses. The training, which focuses on collaborative, multidisciplinary and multidimensional approaches to treatment, includes a practicum experience for all participants.
The Medical Family Therapy certificate program is open to anyone who is currently enrolled in or has completed a master's degree program in social work, psychology, counseling, or marriage and family therapy.
The Medical Family Therapy certificate program is a joint effort between the University of Nebraska-Lincoln and the University of Nebraska Medical Center to provide quality education for students interested in expanding their training to include Medical Family Therapy. Students may be admitted to either the Lincoln campus or the Medical Center campus.
Application checklist and deadlines
1. Required by Graduate Studies
- Application for Admission with $50 non-refundable application fee
- One set of transcripts
- If your native language is not English: verification of English proficiency
- If you are not a US citizen and you hold an F1 visa: concurrent admission to a degree program, because a certificate alone is not sufficient for F1 status
2. Required by the department
Submit the following materials to:Jennifer Harsh, Ph.D.
Internal Medicine Division of General Medicine-Academic
988100 Nebraska Medical Center
Omaha, NE 68198-8100
- Statement of professional goals, including previous education and professional experience, as well as plans after completing the graduate certificate
- Department Graduate Certificate Application
- Brief resume
- Three recommendation letters (can be waived if you have completed the M.A. in Marriage and Family Therapy or Ph.D. in Medical Family Therapy at UNL)
- Minimum English proficiency: Paper TOEFL 550, Internet TOEFL 79, IELTS 6.5