Graduate Certificate Program Summary
The Global Online Language Development Education Network (GOLDEN) Certificate for World Language Educators focuses on the pedagogy unique to teaching the German language.
This certificate program is aimed at enhancing the capacity of German teachers in K-12 and higher education. It is a great option for teachers in school districts requiring that educators secure professional development at the graduate level in a combination of content (language and culture) and pedagogy specific to that content area.
Leading nationally in this area, the GOLDEN program offers courses that use an innovative approach to professional development for German language teachers. The certificate courses are designed to integrate research-informed practices into the language classroom practice. Expertise is garnered simultaneously in content, pedagogy, and technology in this program through courses taught in German and developed using the TPACK (technology, pedagogy, and content knowledge) theoretical framework.
Application checklist and deadlines
1. Required by Graduate Studies
Submit these items as part of the standard steps to admission.
- Application for Admission with $50 non-refundable application fee
- One set of transcripts uploaded to MyRED
- If your native language is not English: verification of English proficiency
- If you are not a US citizen and you hold an F1 visa: concurrent admission to a degree program, because a certificate alone is not sufficient for F1 status
2. Required by the department
After you apply, allow one business day for us to set up your access so you can complete these requirements via MyRED.
- Undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Two letters of recommendation
- Statement of Purpose
- Substantial content knowledge in the German language (e.g., employment as a language educator, degree in the language, university language faculty and/or graduate student)
- Minimum English proficiency: Paper TOEFL 550, Internet TOEFL 79, IELTS 6.5