Graduate Certificate Program Summary
The Global Online Language Distance Education Network (GOLDEN) Certificate for World Language Educators focuses on pedagogy unique to teaching the Spanish language.
This certificate program, aimed at enhancing the capacity of K-16 Spanish teachers, offers professional development courses that combine content (language and culture) and pedagogy specific to that content area. It is an ideal option for educators in school districts that require teachers to secure professional development at the graduate level. Although specifically designed for current and aspiring Spanish classroom teachers, accommodations can be made for those not currently teaching in a language classroom.
Recognized nationally as a model online graduate education program, the goal of GOLDEN is two-fold: to develop classroom teachers’ knowledge in content areas (Spanish culture, literature, and language) and to expand their knowledge of research- based practices for teaching Spanish. The courses are completely online, taught in the target language, and oriented toward theory into practice. The Certificate is awarded upon successful completion of 15 hours of GOLDEN courses
Application checklist and deadlines
1. Required by Graduate Studies
Submit these items as part of the standard steps to admission.
- Application for Admission with $50 non-refundable application fee
- One set of transcripts uploaded to MyRED
- If your native language is not English: verification of English proficiency
- If you are not a US citizen and you hold an F1 visa: concurrent admission to a degree program, because a certificate alone is not sufficient for F1 status
2. Required by the department
After you apply, allow one business day for us to set up your access so you can complete these requirements via MyRED.
- Undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Two letters of recommendation
- Statement of Purpose
- Substantial content knowledge in the Spanish language (e.g., employment as a language educator, degree in the language, university language faculty and/or graduate student)
- Minimum English proficiency: Paper TOEFL 550, Internet TOEFL 79, IELTS 6.5