Let curiosity move you to major or minor in philosophy!
As a philosophy major, you will study difficult and fundamental problems as you are acquainted with the major issues in a broad range of philosophical areas. Develop skills for logical analysis; critically explain complicated philosophical texts; write clear, coherent, plausible, argumentative essays; and reason philosophically.
The basic philosophy curriculum includes courses in the history of philosophy, ethics, metaphysics, epistemology, and logic. Choose the standard option for a wide range of classes, or dive deep into the ethics and law option for students who wish to pursue careers in a legally-related field.
In the College of Arts and Sciences, we know experience is valuable and goes beyond the classroom. We strive to help you connect your academics with research, internships, education abroad, service learning and leadership experiences. Take advantage of opportunities in philosophy such as:
- Studying abroad in Athens, Greece
- Joining a Philosophy Reading Group
- Interning with the Nebraska Department of Economic Development
- Researching the impact of religious philosophy on politics
- Volunteering for the Center for People in Need
Philosophy prepares you especially well for careers requiring analysis, decision making and communication. People graduating with philosophy degrees work in many different occupations, including computer programming, business consulting, management, government, policy analysis, editing, law and medicine. Undergraduate philosophy majors characteristically do very well on entrance exams for graduate and professional schools. Here are examples of recent graduates’ employment:
- Assistant Account Manager / FACTS MANAGEMENT
- Assistant to the Legislative Coordinator / NEBRASKA LEGISLATURE
- Coach Support Specialist / HUDL
- Commercial Customer Service Representative / DAKTRONICS
- Data Scientist / CONTEMPORARY ANALYSIS
- Direct Support Professional / DEVELOPMENTAL SERVICES OF NEBRASKA
- Library Service Associate / CITY OF LINCOLN - LIBRARY DEPARTMENT
- Personal Banker / UNION BANK TRUST
- Strategic Analyst / BRABENDERCOX
- Volunteer Teacher / ALUM SERVICE CORPS