InstructionsPlease read all the instructions below before signing up for an appointment.
- Since we will use Skype and Google Docs to conduct the session, you will need to have Skype installed, and you must have a Google account. Please make sure you are familiar with the basic functions of both.
- Use the buttons below to visit our scheduling system and sign up for an appointment. Our online consultation hours are Sunday-Wednesday, 7-9 pm Central time. (Not available at any of these times? Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to make other arrangements.)
- Before your appointment, make sure to have your draft available as a Google Doc.
- When it is 5-10 minutes before your appointment time, please share your Google Doc with email@example.com. (To do this, click "Share" in the upper right corner, enter "firstname.lastname@example.org" [no quotations marks] in the box, and click "Done.")
- Please send a Skype contact request to unlwritingcenter (you can also use the email address email@example.com to locate the Writing Center on Skype).
- When it is a few minutes before your scheduled appointment time, please log into Skype and the Writing Center consultant will contact you at the appointment start time.
- If the video function fails, the consultant will initiate the chat feature in Google Docs.
- If you are unable to make contact with the consultant, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Meet your online Writing Center Consultants
To see their bios, visit our Staff page.
Q: When are your online services available?
A: Sunday-Wednesday, 7-9 pm Central. In Spring 2018, we will begin on January 22 and continue through the last day of classes.
Q: Can anyone use your online services?
A: Yes, but please understand that we have a limited number of hours, so our first priority has to be people who find it difficult or impossible to make it to one of our on-campus locations.
Q: I'm not available at those times! What do I do?
A: Email email@example.com and we'll do our best to accommodate your needs.
Q: Can I make an unlimited number of appointments?
A: No; we have only a limited number of hours available, and we want everyone who needs an online appointment to have a chance to reserve one. The maximum number of appointments is 1 hour per day, 2 hours per week.
Q: Will the Writing Center Consultant read my draft before we meet?
A: No, not unless you've talked directly with the consultant previously and made special arrangements. Just as in the UNL Writing Center's main location, the Consultant will talk through your draft with you during the appointment time.
Q: Will you proofread or edit my paper for me?
A: No, we do not proofread or edit for students. You're the expert on what you're writing about! But we can help you identify places in your writing that could be clearer, and we're happy to talk through how to improve these areas. We want to help you become a stronger proofreader, editor, and reviser of your own work.