InstructionsPlease read ALL the instructions below before signing up for an appointment.
- Since we will use Google Hangouts and Google Docs to conduct the session, you will need to have a Google account.
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org to request an appointment during one of the times listed above at least 48 hours before your preferred appointment time. Please include your name, gmail address, NUID number, what writing project your working on, and some information about what you would like to focus on during the appointment.
- Before your appointment, make sure to have your draft available as a Google Doc.
- When it is 5-10 minutes before your appointment time, please share your Google Doc with email@example.com. (To do this, click "Share" in the upper right corner, enter "firstname.lastname@example.org" [no quotations marks] in the box, and click "Done.")
- When it is a few minutes before your scheduled appointment time, please get online and the Writing Center consultant will contact you at the appointment start time.
- If the video function fails, the consultant will initiate the chat feature in Google Docs.
- If you are unable to make contact with the consultant, please email email@example.com.
- If you are unable to make your appointment for any reason, please cancel ASAP by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Q: When are your online services available?
A: See the table above for possible times. We will begin offering online appointments beginning the week of Sept. 4 during Fall 2018.
Q: Can anyone use your online services?
A: Yes, but please understand that we have a limited number of hours, so our first priority has to be people who find it difficult or impossible to make it to one of our on-campus locations.
Q: I'm not available at those times! What do I do?
A: Email email@example.com and we'll do our best to accommodate your needs.
Q: Can I make an unlimited number of appointments?
A: No; we have only a limited number of hours available, and we want everyone who needs an online appointment to have a chance to reserve one. The maximum number of appointments is 1 hour per week.
Q: Will the Writing Center Consultant read my draft before we meet?
A: No, not unless you've talked directly with the consultant previously and made special arrangements. Just as in the Writing Center's main location, the Consultant will talk through your draft with you during the appointment time.
Q: Will you proofread or edit my paper for me?
A: No, we do not proofread or edit for students. You're the expert on what you're writing about! But we can help you identify places in your writing that could be clearer, and we're happy to talk through how to improve these areas. We want to help you become a stronger proofreader, editor, and reviser of your own work.