Application Requirements: Additional Details

Graduate Application for Admission

These tabs supplement information found on the Steps to Admission page and Program Summaries.

Application Status

As you'll see on MyRED's Admissions > Graduate page, there are two parts to your application status.

Status in Graduate Studies (Overall Status)

MyRED tells you the status of your application in the Office of Graduate Studies and enables you to see which items required by Graduate Studies have been received. See About MyRED for step-by-step instructions.

Beyond GRE, TOEFL, and IELTS scores, MyRED does not track program-specific materials required by departments.

If MyRED indicates that your application has been forwarded to your academic department for review, Graduate Studies is awaiting the department's recommendation.

Status in Your Academic Department

Each department has its own unique evaluation process and most require additional items to supplement the basic materials required by Graduate Studies. To find out what items are required by your department, check its graduate program summary. Your department is the best source of information about how, when, and where to submit these materials. Departmental materials are not tracked or evaluated by Graduate Studies.

Applicants to most degree or certificate programs will use MyRED's "Application Status in Your Academic Department" link to complete supplemental requirements specific to their programs. After you apply, allow one business day for us to set up your access to this. When it's ready you will receive an email inviting you to begin using this link. If you do not receive this email, consult your department directly about any additional requirements.

For letters of recommendation, you'll enter your letter writers' contact information via MyRED's departmental link, then tell the system to email them links for completing your recommendation online.

Application Fee

All applicants for graduate admission must submit an application and pay the $50 application fee.

  • Current non-degree graduate students at the University of Nebraska - Lincoln who wish to pursue a degree program must submit a new application and pay the application fee.
  • The Office of Graduate Studies does not issue application fee waivers.
  • Application fees are non-refundable and non-transferrable.

Paying this fee

Accepted methods of payment:

  • Credit card.
    1. When applying: Select the application's credit card option; clicking Submit will take you to a secure payment page.
    2. Later: Pay via MyRED's "Application Status in Graduate Studies" page.
  • Check or money order.
    • Be sure that your identifying information accompanies your payment so we can match it to your application: full name (as on your application), NUID number, date of birth.
    • Payment must be in U.S. dollars and checks must be drawn on a U.S. bank. Make checks payable to "University of Nebraska-Lincoln" and mail to:
      Office of Graduate Studies
      University of Nebraska-Lincoln
      1100 Seaton Hall
      Lincoln NE 68588-0619


  • United States military personnel:
    • Email any of the following documents to Graduate Studies for further instructions: DD214, Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE), Military Orders, Joint Services Transcript, or Community College of the Air Force Transcript.
    • Remove your Social Security Number before sending.
    • This waiver applies to the service member only (active duty military, guard, veteran, or reserve), not spouse or dependents.
  • Pell Grant recipients: Email a copy of your Student Aid Report to Graduate Studies; you will be given instructions.
  • McNair Scholars: Email your Certification of McNair Program Participation Form to Graduate Studies.
  • The Big Ten Academic Alliance FreeApp Program is available for students who meet BTAA eligibility requirements and have participated in the undergraduate Summer Research Program on a BTAA campus.

Social Security Numbers

Protecting our students' personal information is very important to us.

We request the Social Security number (SSN) once from new applicants, store it securely in a location accessible only by authorized personnel, and issue each individual a University of Nebraska NUID number. The NUID number, not the SSN, is used to identify students at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln.

Why the University uses SSNs

The SSN is required by the federal government for reporting related to taxes, employment, and financial aid.

If the University does not have a SSN on file for a student, that student:
  • Cannot receive University payments for assistantships or fellowships.
  • Cannot defer student loans or get financial aid.
  • Will be subject to a $50 IRS penalty if a Form 1098-T is generated without a valid SSN.

Once you've provided your SSN to the University, you shouldn't need to provide it to us again. If you already have an NUID number, we encourage you to use your NUID instead of your SSN in any communication with us.

Students without SSNs

International (non-resident alien) students usually do not have SSNs. They will need SSNs if they are granted fellowships or assistantships or are otherwise employed by the University. Those students will be able to get SSNs after arriving on campus.

Applying to Multiple Programs

Students may apply to multiple programs but can be admitted to only one program unless a dual degree program has been established. When applying to two or more degree programs, submit an application and a $50 application processing fee for each program.

Academic Transcripts

Transcripts are required from each college-level institution attended, listing courses completed, marks earned, and degrees conferred.

Upload your unofficial (electronic) transcripts via MyRED; have your official transcripts sent to Nebraska only after we ask for them.

Part 0: On your application form, list schools you've attended

We use this information to list your schools in MyRED, with school-specific Upload slots for the transcripts we require from you.

Part 1: After you apply, upload transcripts in MyRED

Soon after applying, typically on our next business day, applicants receive email granting access to TrueYou and MyRED, including MyRED's transcript upload. Uploaded transcripts are unofficial but sufficient for application review. We do not accept transcripts by email or fax.

One file per school

  • For each school, put all records (marks sheets, translations, degree certificates) in 1 file. Records from 2 schools must be 2 separate files.
  • Accepted filetypes: PDF, JPG, PNG. Maximum filesize: 2 MB.

Identify student and school

  • Student name and school name must appear on transcript.
  • You may redact your SSN prior to upload; otherwise we redact SSNs upon receipt.

Not editable after upload

If you wish to withdraw or replace a file you've uploaded, contact us. MyRED does not enable you to modify files after upload.

Shared with your dept.

Transcripts provided to Graduate Studies are shared with your academic department. Allow 1-2 business days for transcripts uploaded to MyRED to appear on the dept. side.

Other considerations

  • UNL coursework: Former UNL students do not need to submit transcripts for prior UNL coursework. Graduate Studies will obtain any necessary UNL transcripts.
  • Degrees in progress: Students working on another degree at the time of application to UNL should submit transcripts from their current degree program, even though the transcripts will not yet be final. Final transcripts must be submitted once enrollment at the other institution ends. Transcripts (or degree certificates if non-US) indicating degree conferral are required if the degree is awarded.
  • English translations: If transcripts or diplomas issued by a school are not in English, send original-language documents plus certified English translations of all pages. Translations should be word-for-word and in the same layout as the original documents.
  • International transfers: Applicants holding F-1 visas should notify Graduate Studies if they are currently attending another U.S. school or have recently attended another U.S. school, and be aware of the SEVIS requirement for releasing your record to UNL upon admission to UNL.

How to upload

  1. Sign into MyRED. Under Admissions > Graduate, select "Application Status in Graduate Studies".
    • Select the relevant application if you have more than one.
  2. Click the "Browse" or "Choose File" button for the transcript you want to upload, then select your file.
    • If your school is not listed, contact Graduate Studies.
    • If your school is listed but has no Upload button, the document is not eligible for upload, typically because you already provided it.
  3. Click the Upload button.
    • Upon successful upload, the page will say your file is pending review by Graduate Studies.
    • Troubleshooting:
      • Error message about file format or size: Check that your file meets the requirements listed on this page. Adjust your file accordingly and try the upload again.
      • Empty white screen: Your file is probably way too big. Resize and try again.
  4. Each uploaded file will be checked before it is added to your application materials.
    • If the file is not legible enough or does not meet the requirements above, we'll contact you about resubmitting it.

If you are unable to upload your transcript, you may have an official paper copy sent to Graduate Studies. Do not send transcripts to us by email (for security reasons) or fax (for legibility reasons).

Part 2: After you're admitted, provide official transcripts

Admission based on uploaded transcripts is contingent on receipt of official transcripts.  Students will be able to enroll only after official records are received. Official transcripts are required from all admitted and enrolled students.

Official transcripts must be sent from each institution directly to the Office of Graduate Studies, on paper or electronically.  See also: Guidelines for official transcripts from outside the United States, including CDGDC requirement for schools in China.
Academic records will be accepted as official only if they have been certified by appropriate university officials. Photocopies of certified documents are not considered official. Faxed documents, scanned documents, notarized photocopies, and copies made by translators or evaluation agencies are not considered official.
Admission may be rescinded if discrepancies exist between uploaded transcripts and official documents.


Application deadlines vary across academic departments and programs.

Degree or Graduate Certificate

To find the deadline for your program, locate your department's graduate program summary. We recommend submitting all materials to the Office of Graduate Studies at least one month before that deadline.

For degree programs with "Rolling Admission" or with no deadline, we recommend submitting all materials no later than:

  • January 7 to be considered for financial support in the coming academic year
  • March 1 for fall (August start)
  • September 1 for spring (January start)
  • February 1 for summer (June or July start)

For certificate programs with "Rolling Admission" or no deadline, submit materials at least one month prior to when you wish to enroll.


There are no deadlines for non-degree admission.

We recommend submitting all materials to the Office of Graduate Studies at least two weeks before you wish to register for classes. Refer to the academic calendar for dates of open enrollment, the last day to register without a fee, and the first day of fall and spring semesters as well as all summer sessions.