Finances and visa forms

To study at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln on an F-1 (student) or J-1 (exchange visitor) visa, you will need a Form I-20 or Form DS-2019 from the University for your visa interview and for entering the United States.

Form 1: Financial Resources

If you are recommended for admission, Graduate Studies will ask you to submit the Financial Resource Certification (FRC) form with documentation of your finances. SEVIS allows us to create your I-20 or DS-2019 only after we verify that you will have sufficient funds for the first nine-month academic year.

If you are offered a University of Nebraska assistantship sufficient to cover the costs on the FRC, you do not need to submit the FRC.

The FRC lists estimated costs of attendance and living expenses. For additional details on costs, refer to Student Accounts.

Funding for graduate study typically comes from one or more of the following sources:  personal or family sources, graduate assistantship, or scholarship from a university or government agency in the student's home country.

Form 2:  Visa Data

After you meet the financial requirements, Graduate Studies will ask you to complete the online Visa Data Form. This confirms, completes, and updates the information necessary for us to create for your Form I-20 or Form DS-2019 and provide it to you with your Letter of Admission.

SEVIS Transfer for F-1:  If you have enrolled at or graduated from another U.S. school within the last five months, be sure to indicate this on your Visa Data Form.  SEVIS requires that you ask your other school to release your record. For more specific information and instructions, contact Graduate Studies.

Next Steps

If you are not currently in the U.S., take the I-20 or DS-2019 with your Letter of Admission to the U.S. embassy where you will apply for a visa.

For the best information and advice on applying for a student visa, consult the Education USA resources from the U.S. Department of State.

After you arrive in Nebraska, remember your enrollment requirements:

  • All students on F-1 or J-1 visas must be enrolled full-time (9 or more credit hours per semester) during the academic year (fall and spring semesters) to maintain legal immigration status.
  • If you plan to enroll for less than 9 credit hours in a fall or spring semester, first discuss it with the International Student and Scholar Office and a program coordinator in Graduate Studies.
  • Summer enrollment may be optional depending on when you start or complete your program.