Letter to Applicants
Mortar Board is the University of Nebraska’s only national senior honor society. It is an association of collegians selected for distinguished ability in scholarship, leadership, and service. Mortar Board was founded on February 15th, 1918, at Syracuse University and has since grown to include over 200 chartered chapters and 200,000 alumni. While it is an honor to be selected for membership in Mortar Board, it is the continued commitment to serve that differentiates Mortar Board from the other honorary societies. During the past year, Mortar Board has accomplished numerous activities including honoring individuals who have made a difference in our lives through our “People Who Inspire” banquet, recognizing Nebraska’s most outstanding educators through our “Professor of the Month” award program, participating in the RSO competition during homecoming week, volunteering weekly at Clinton Elementary, and co-sponsoring our annual Jack Frost Jog to support the Team Jack Foundation. As a member of Mortar Board, you will take part in a variety of activities like this with an outstanding group of individuals.
The following qualifications are required to apply:
- Junior or Senior standing with 53 or more credit hours
- 3.3 Grade Point Average
- Must be a student at least one year following initiation in the spring of 2021
We are now in the process of selecting members for 2021. To apply, please complete the following online application. The Mortar Board application has multiple parts, so please follow these directions in order to complete your application:
- Fill out your "Basic Information" on the online form.
- Have your reference email your recommendation letter to firstname.lastname@example.org and they will receive a confirmation email.
- Uploaded your resume, three essays, description of creative project, and spring 2021 schedule to the online form.
- Email your confidential preference form to email@example.com (only applicable to those applying to multiple honor societies).
- Physically turn in your creative project at the union crib on January 29, 2021 from 8am-4pm.
These steps are described in further depth in the online form below. You will need to be logged in to unl.edu with your blackboard information to proceed to the application. Ensure that all pieces are completed and submitted no later than 4:00 p.m. on Friday, January 29, 2021.
If you have any questions about Mortar Board or the application process, please contact our selections chairs, Anna Krause, Parker Williams, and Sydney Brewer at the following email: firstname.lastname@example.org