Graduate Certificate Program Summary
Digital humanities is an interdisciplinary field that uses cutting-edge technology, advanced computing, and public engagement (especially via social media) to investigate questions in the humanities and to intervene in contemporary culture.
UNL's Digital Humanities Graduate Certificate Program allows graduate and post-baccalaureate students to gain scholarly credentials in the digital humanities, while engaging in multiple opportunities to learn about a vibrant and rapidly expanding field. Students can also take part in the development of established and new faculty projects and use innovative digital methods to pursue their own research questions.
Work in the digital humanities can take a variety of forms, including:
- the development of digital archives
- the use of geo-spatial technologies
- the application data mining and machine learning techniques
- 3D modeling of historical buildings and artifacts
- tool building and software development for humanities research
- the development of games, interactive environments, and media systems with a humanistic focus
The University of Nebraska-Lincoln is an international leader in the field of digital humanities with faculty in the departments of Anthropology, Art, Art History & Design, Classics & Religious Studies, English, History , Modern Languages , and the University Libraries . UNL is also home to the Center for Digital Research in the Humanities , an internationally recognized site for digital humanities research.
Application checklist and deadlines
1. Required by Graduate Studies
- Application for Admission with $50 non-refundable application fee
- One set of transcripts
- If your native language is not English: verification of English proficiency
- If you are not a US citizen and you hold an F1 visa: concurrent admission to a degree program, because a certificate alone is not sufficient for F1 status
2. Required by the department
Exception: If currently enrolled in a UNL graduate degree program, the Application for Admission is still needed but these dept. requirements, including the application fee, are waived. Before proceeding, see Application to the Certificate for more information.