12 smart starts
1. How do I connect my devices to the Internet?
It's as easy as 1-2-3.
- Select eduroam from the list of available networks.
- Your device will now prompt you to log in to the network. Use the following credentials:
- Username: Use your full campus email address
- Password: Use your campus password (same as email, Canvas, etc.)
- If prompted, accept the eduroam certificate and authenticate your devices.
2. What’s the easiest way to find my classes and get around campus?
Find where you're going. Locations of buildings, bus stops (and buses!), bike racks, parking, police stations and emergency phones are available on the Campus Maps website. If you share location, the most efficient walking path will appear between where you are and where you want to go. Riding the bus? Real-time locations for all routes – including estimated times of arrival for the next two stops – are displayed. If you need to get between campuses, the university offers free bus passes to all students. More information on bus passes and routes and student parking passes is available on the Parking and Transit Services website.
3. What’s going on the first few weeks of school?
The short answer is: a lot! Big Red Welcome starts the weekend before classes start and runs for six weeks. A variety of events and activities are held each week around campus. Be sure to check the website weekly to stay up to date and check for new additions to the schedule. Even after Big Red Welcome ends, there’s always something to do on campus. Student Involvement and the UNL Calendar of Events are two great places to start.
4. Where can I find my grades, assignments and other things I need for class?
From syllabi to assignments and online quizzes, almost everything you’ll need for class can be found on Canvas. Most classes that you take will require you to have a textbook or other course materials. The easiest place to get textbooks and supplies is at the University Bookstore, located on the lower level of the Nebraska Union on City Campus and in the Nebraska East Union on East Campus. You can view the list of textbooks you’ll need for each class on the University Bookstore website or MyRed.
5. What’s the difference between Canvas and MyRed?
The Canvas system gives you access to syllabi, assignments, documents, online quizzes and many other resources that you’ll need for class. MyRed is a portal that allows you access to many pieces of your student information including class registrations, financial aid and awards and your student bill, just to name a few.
5. Do I use the same username and password for Canvas and MyRED?
To login to online services, like Canvas and MyRED, you can use your MyUNL username and password. To activate your MyUNL account, go to TrueYou and follow these instructions. If you’re having trouble logging in to any online services at UNL, contact the Huskertech Help Center.
7. WHy do I need a @huskers.unl.edu student email address?
These email accounts are required for all students. Your @huskers.unl.edu email connects you to our campus-wide communication system, so you won't miss any important class or campus announcement. It will also give you access to download Microsoft Office and the Adobe Creative Cloud suite at no cost. Be sure to activate you account as soon as possible at mymail.unl.edu
8. What can I use my NCard for?
The NCard is Nebraska’s photo ID and campus card that you should carry with you at all times. You can use your NCard to buy or rent textbooks at the University Bookstore, access campus residence halls and dining centers, purchase food and other products from campus vendors and much more. Visit the NCard Office website for a detailed list of uses and more information on setting up your NCard Campus Account.
9. Dates, deadlines and breaks: the academic calendar
The academic calendar includes important dates such as semester beginnings and endings, class registration deadlines, course drop deadlines, student holidays and breaks and final exams.
10. What resources are available to me at the library?
The nine libraries spread across both City Campus and East Campus offer more than just books. Library services include study rooms, locker rentals, printing, copying and scanning, HuskerTech support, and research databases and assistance. The Adele Coryell Hall Learning Commons, located in the north side lower level of Love Library, is open from 7:30 a.m. to 2 a.m. seven days a week (24/7 the last week of classes and finals) and has a Dunkin’ Donuts location.
11. How do I find contact information for professors, advisers, staff and other people at Nebraska?
Your professors should provide their contact information at the start of the semester. Finding contact information for anyone at Nebraska is easy – just type the person’s name into the search box at the top of any page on the university website.
12. What if I need to print something?
ITS PrintIT uses Wepanow technology as the campus-wide public printing solution with physical print locations in many public areas.
Wepa is connected throughout campus and operates through the cloud. Accounts you can print from include:
- Google Drive
- or, by using a flash drive