Twyla Hansen, Matt Mason
The Poetry of Place Celebration
Please join the Nebraska Writing Project in a poetry event that reflects life in Nebraska. The purpose of this program is to encourage Nebraska students to write poetry about place and to make that poetry more visible.
Nine to twelve Nebraska student poets will be selected to have their writing published on the Nebraska Writing Project website and participate in public readings at various venues in the state, including a reading on May 2nd, 2014 in the Warner Chamber at the State Capitol Building alongside Nebraska poets Twyla Hansen and Matt Mason.
(Please review carefully, as submissions not meeting guidelines will not be considered. Note April 1st, 2014 deadline.)
STUDENTS grades 1-12:
- Write an original poem, reflective of your 'place' and submit it to your teacher.
- Coordinate within your school to select no more than 12 student poems per school-- four poems from each of three grade divisions (1-5, 6-8, 9-12).
- Label selected poems, in doc format, with student's full name, grade and poem title.
- Submit poems as email attachments, in word document format (no pdfs) to: 2014PoetryOfPlace@gmail.com
- Direct Parents of the twelve to complete and 'submit' the on-line "Poetry of Place Permission and Release Form" for their student.
- Deadline for submission of all materials is April 1st, 2014.
Teachers will be notified via email when all materials are received and when final selections are made. Selected poets will be notified of their selection via US mail.
Direct Questions to:
- Robert E. Brooke
Director, Nebraska Writing Project
Department of English
202 Andrews Hall
University of Nebraska-Lincoln
Lincoln , NE 68588-0333
April 1st, 2014: Deadline for receipt of all materials at NeWP (late entries will not be considered)
April 21st, 2014: Notification of results--selected poets and sponsoring teachers via mail, others via by email
May 2nd, 2014: Poetry reading at Nebraska State Capitol (Warner Chamber) with Nebraska poets Twyla Hansen and Matt Mason.
TEACHER RESOURCE MATERIALS: