Let curiosity move you to minor in medieval and renaissance studies!
Medieval and renaissance studies (MRST) is an interdisciplinary minor that allows students to explore the pre-modern period across a variety of intersecting areas. Students should develop both a broad sense of the pre-modern period across different regions, but also may develop a focused interest on a particular area, government, social institution, religious or cultural movement, artistic development, etc. Topics studied often include the Reformation and Counter-Reformation in Europe; the importance and operation of monarchy in medieval and renaissance governance; the impact of innovative technology and art across the period; the role of travel and encounters between cultures in creating narratives of Europe, the Middle East, and Asia; the contrasts of medieval Judaism, Christianity, and Islam; the flourishing of poetry, theater, art, architecture, and literature across different cultures; and the development of national identities and religious empires.
In the College of Arts and Sciences, we know experience is valuable and goes beyond the classroom. We strive to help you connect your academics with research, internships, education abroad, service learning and leadership experiences. Take advantage of opportunities in medieval and renaissance studies such as:
- Studying abroad in England
- Serving as the Medieval and Renaissance Club president
- Presenting at one of the university’s many research conferences
- Researching medieval pottery analysis
- Volunteering with the Sheldon Art Museum
The program provides excellent preparation for graduate work in this area, especially if you are interested in literary, historical or artistic studies with an eventual career in college or university teaching. The broad education, which stresses careful research, critical analysis, effective writing and other communication skills, will prepare you for a career in many fields, including:
- Client Service Analyst / FISERV
- Editor / UNIVERSITY OF NEBRASKA–LINCOLN
- Park Ranger / U.S. FOREST SERVICE
- Rental and Events Coordinator / JOSLYN CAPITAL TRUST
- Student Coach / BELLEVUE UNIVERSITY
- World History Teacher / THE INTERGENERATIONAL SCHOOL
- Writer / SANDHILLS PUBLISHING