Dear Susan T. Buffett Scholarship Recipient,
Congratulations on receiving the Susan Thompson Buffett Scholarship and choosing to attend the University of Nebraska-Lincoln (UNL)! All recipients of the Susan Thompson Buffett Scholarship who attend UNL automatically join the William H. Thompson (WHT) Scholars Learning Community, or “Thompson Scholars” as our students are known on campus. The W.H. Thompson Scholars Learning Community exists to foster the talents and potential that earned you the Buffett Scholarship and to support your academic, personal, and social development through a variety of opportunities, programming, and classroom experiences.
As a Thompson Scholar, you must meet both the Buffett Scholarship and W.H. Thompson Scholars Learning Community requirements in order to maintain your scholarship throughout your time at UNL. We will explain all of this more in depth at our mandatory orientation event in August.
For now, we would like to provide you with an idea of what these mandatory requirements include:
First Virtual Meeting with a W.H. Thompson Staff Member scheduled by May 3, 2021: As a Thompson Scholar, you are supported in your transition to college by the W.H. Thompson Staff. In order to help you understand your requirements for the Buffett Scholarship, your classes, and the learning community, we will need to connect with you prior to your registration appointment with an academic advisor. To reserve your appointment time, please visit the link provided at the end of the WHT Scholar Information Video to schedule your appointment. If you have any difficulties with this please email Ms. Adina Choat at email@example.com and she will work with you to get your meeting scheduled.
Prior to your scheduled First Virtual Meeting, please review and submit requested information from the following two introductory videos:
WHT Scholar Welcome Video: https://use.vg/Qlwymr
WHT Scholar Information Video: https://use.vg/C0582U
You will also have a Second Virtual Meeting with a W.H. Thompson Staff Member after you have registered for classes (dates TBA).
Enrollment in W.H. Thompson classes:
- Classes: Thompson Scholars are required to enroll in W.H. Thompson classes your first four semesters (Fall 1st year, Spring 1st year, Fall 2nd year, and Spring 2nd year) at UNL. These courses cover the same material as ordinary classes at UNL, except they are reserved exclusively for Thompson Scholars and are smaller, allowing you to work closely with faculty and interact with classmates. Most of these classes meet the UNL Achievement Centered Education (ACE, http://ace.unl.edu/ ) general education requirements.
- For your first semester, you will choose two (2) W.H. Thompson classes when registering for courses from the list of courses given to you during your virtual meeting. One of the classes will need to be our W.H. Thompson Scholars First Year Experience Seminar and for your second class, you may choose another class from the list.
- When you meet with your academic advisor, we encourage you to mention you are a Thompson Scholar. Following your advising appointment, a W.H. Thompson staff member will follow up with you to confirm you are enrolled correctly. The remaining required W.H. Thompson courses, you will choose each semester for the next three semesters.
- The W.H. Thompson Scholars First Year Experience Seminar: Included in your W.H. Thompson classes, you are required to take the W.H. Thompson Scholars First Year Experience seminar (your first semester only), which will provide you with a weekly opportunity to strengthen both your academic skills and social network. This seminar will address habits and behaviors essential to success in college including time management, study skills, goal setting, campus resources, and leadership development.
First-Year Community Engagement Dinners: As a Thompson Scholar you are required to attend community dinners meant to connect you to your peers and your assigned mentor. Attendance at the community dinners is mandatory.
- First-Year Community Dinners are Wednesdays from 5:30-7:30 P.M. on the following dates:
Fall 2021 Spring 2022
September 8 February 2
October 13 March 9
November April 6
Peer Mentor Program: Your first year of college you will have a peer mentor, an upper-class Thompson Scholar who knows firsthand what it is like to be new at UNL and who you meet with one-on-one to help guide you toward useful campus resources. You are also required to participate in community dinners with your mentor group throughout your first year in the WHT Scholars Community.
GPA and Credit Hours: As a Thompson Scholar you are required to maintain a grade point average (GPA) of 2.0 or better AND complete a minimum of 18 credit hours each school year.
Campus Housing: The majority of students at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln live on campus for at least one year. UNL has an on-campus residency requirement for incoming freshmen. Thompson Scholars living in University Housing during their first year will be assigned to the W.H. Thompson Scholars Learning Community floors in Harper Residence Hall. If you have requested a roommate, they are welcome to live with you in Harper. For additional information, please visit: http://www.unl.edu/wht/housing.shtml
As a reminder, we will go over this information and much more at the MANDATORY William H. Thompson Scholars First-Year Orientation, which will take place on Saturday, August 21st, from 8:30 A.M. to 3:30 P.M.
The W.H. Thompson Scholars Learning Community is excited that you will be joining us in the fall. Again, we wish you a heartfelt congratulations on your scholarship and high school graduation. We are looking forward to getting to know you and welcoming you to the University of Nebraska-Lincoln!
Ms. Lesley Esters
Director – W.H. Thompson Scholars Learning Community