About the Department of English
Photo credit: Erin Chambers
Central to the core mission of the Department of English is imaginative reasoning: the ability to think hypothetically about the world in all its diversity—the past, present, and future; the local and the global—in order to engage critically with social and political phenomena, envision what is possible, and dream up audacious solutions to seemingly insoluble problems.
Our Core Values
- Pursuing social justice
- Affirming diversity
- Engaging with a broad array of real and imagined communities based on empathetic understanding
- Fostering a sense of belonging
- Instilling a desire for civic engagement
Careers in English and Film StudiesEndless Possibilities
When people think of jobs for English majors, they usually think of teaching, writing, and publishing. And it’s true, English majors can find excellent careers in those professions. But the options really are endless. An English major serves a variety of roles in students’ lives, including:
- a base for beginning study in creative writing, ethnic studies, film studies, Great Plains studies, linguistics and women’s studies
- a pre-professional program teaching at the secondary and college level
- a pre-professional program for careers in law, medicine, and business
- a classical liberal education major for those interested in developing analytic and communication abilities that underlie most professions in American society
In addition to regular courses, we encourage you to seek experiences outside of class that will help enrich your studies and focus your career path. These might come in the form of an internship, a research position, a volunteer opportunity, or a semester abroad.