Faculty/Staff ADA/504 Accommodation FAQ

What is an accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)?

Under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) a reasonable accommodation can include changes to a position or workplace, or other forms of assistance, that will enable an employee to perform the essential functions of the job. This is a long-term change. “Reasonable” is determined by the essential functions of the job and the interactive process with FSDS.

Who do I contact to start the process?

You can speak with your supervisor or contact us by emailing access@unl.edu or calling Institutional Equity and Compliance at (402) 472-3417.

What are the steps in the accommodation process?

Please see the Faculty/Staff ADA/504 Procedure for Identifying a Reasonable Accommodation.

Why did I get the ADA Supervisory Letter or an ADA packet?

You received the letter or packet because our office was notified you may have a medical condition that may impact your ability to perform essential job functions. Our office wants to be sure you have the opportunity to request an accommodation.

Why was I referred to your office?

If a supervisor becomes aware of a medical condition that may impact an employee’s ability to perform essential job functions, they should refer the employee to Faculty/Staff Disability Services, to ensure that employee has the resources the employee needs.

Who can start the process or make an inquiry?

Anyone can refer a faculty/staff member to our office. However, the faculty/staff member must choose to participate in the interactive process for developing an accommodation plan.

What type of accommodation would you offer me?

The type of accommodation will depend on your medical condition, the essential job functions impacted, and the information we receive from your health care provider. The interactive accommodation process exists because each situation is unique.

Is Faculty/Staff Disability Services part of Human Resources?

The Americans with Disabilities Act requires that medical files are maintained separately from personnel records. Because of this, Faculty/Staff Disability Services functions separately from Human Resources.

How long will this process take?

The process is dependent on many factors, including how long it takes employees, health care providers and supervisors to respond. If you are concerned about how long the process is taking, contact us and we can figure out what is slowing things down.

Who will see details of my medical information and accommodation plan?

We communicate the accommodation plan with your supervisor and people who have a need to know about the accommodation. FSDS maintains records with sensitive medical information, but a medical diagnosis is never shared.

Do I have to take time off to come visit your office during work hours?

Generally, no. If you notify your supervisor that you need to speak with us, they must arrange for you to be able to consult with us during work hours.

If you are uncomfortable with your supervisor knowing that you are coming to meet with us, we can arrange to meet with you on your lunch hour, or at another convenient time.

I am pregnant. Do I qualify for accommodations under the ADA?

Pregnancy itself is not considered a disability; however, medical conditions arising from pregnancy might be (for example, gestational diabetes). For more information or if you have concerns, please contact our office.

If you have questions regarding alternative parking arrangements, please contact us.

You can also visit the Human Resources Parental Leave webpage.

My supervisor and I have spoken about my condition, and we have come to an understanding that works for me. Why do I need a formal accommodation plan?

A formal accommodation plan protects you in case your supervisor changes or your relationship with your supervisor changes. Your accommodation plan can also be updated if your job duties change, or you take a new job at the university. If your medical condition changes, the accommodation plan can be updated.