UNL encourages any person subjected to sexual misconduct to report the conduct to law enforcement and to the university's Title IX office. There are several reporting options available to you.

Report a Crime

If there is a crime in progress or you need immediate medical care or safety measures, call 911. You can also text campus police by texting to 69050 with key word UNLPD.

Contact Campus Police (UPD) or local law enforcement to seek non-emergency safety measures or report a crime. UPD is obligated to report allegations of sexual misconduct to the Title IX Coordinator for investigation of Title IX violations.

University Police Department
300 N 17th St
(402) 472-2222

Lincoln Police Department
575 S 10th St, Lincoln, NE 68508
(402) 441-6000

Lancaster County Sheriff’s Office
575 S 10th St, Lincoln, NE 68508

(402) 441-6500

Anonymous Reporting

You may choose to file a report with the university and request that your name not be used in the investigation process. However, it is often difficult to investigate allegations when an individual requests their name not be disclosed during an investigation. Reporting anonymously may limit the university’s ability to conduct a full investigation and take action. You may report anonymously through the university's TIPS reporting system (see below).

File a Complaint Using the University's Incident Reporting System


You may share a concern or file a complaint using TIPS reporting. The TIPS link may be found on the university’s homepage or at http://go.unl.edu/86bw. TIPS provides an online method by which UNL community members may share campus concerns. Concerns expressed through TIPS which contain potential sexual misconduct allegations will be investigated by the Title IX Coordinator and/or his or her designee.

Contact a Responsible Employee

Responsible employees are individuals working at UNL who have an obligation to inform the Title IX Coordinator of allegations of sex discrimination or sexual misconduct. Responsible Employees cannot keep your concerns confidential. If you talk to these individuals, your concerns will be reported and the university will conduct an investigation into your concerns. For a list of individuals identified as Responsible Employees, please see go.unl.edu/title-ix-responsible-employees. These individuals are identified on campus by the symbol shown to the right. UNL's Responsible Employee Symbol:  A red circle with black border identifying a Title IX Responsible Employee with the letters RE dominant in white and the URL go.unl.edu/title-ix Not all UNL employees are Responsible Employees. Only individuals who are designated as Responsible Employees are authorized to take action on or required to report sexual misconduct allegations. Please understand, if you choose to share your concerns with a Confidential Resource, or if you talk to someone who is not identified as a Responsible Employee, the university may not investigate your concerns as it may not have notice of those concerns. To the extent you want the university to take action, you need to report to a Responsible Employee, campus police or the Title IX Coordinator.

File a Title IX Complaint with the University

UNL’s Title IX Coordinator is Tami Strickman. Ms. Strickman may be reached at:

Office of Institutional Equity and Compliance

128 Canfield Administration Building
Lincoln, NE  68588-0437

Telephone: (402) 472-3417
Email:  tami.strickman@unl.edu

File a Complaint with the Office of Civil Rights.

The Office for Civil Rights (OCR) of the U.S. Department of Education enforces Title IX. For more information, see http://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ocr/complaintprocess.html.

Where Can I Find Information About the University's Complaint Investigation Process?

For students, the Student Code of Conduct, Appendix A contains information about the complaint and appeal process regarding complaints of sexual misconduct. Click here for a copy of Appendix A.

For employees, the University’s Response to Allegations of Employee Sexual Misconduct Policy contains information about the complaint and appeal process regarding complaints of sexual misconduct. Click here for a copy of the Policy.

Generally, when the university receives notice or a complaint of a behavior that may violate the university sexual misconduct policy, a Title IX investigator in the Office of Institutional Equity and Compliance will conduct an impartial, neutral investigation. The investigator will generally interview both parties and witnesses, examine any evidence presented by the parties and examine any other available evidence. The investigator will, at the conclusion of the investigation, issue a determination about whether a violation occurred and recommend sanctions, if any are found to be appropriate.

Will I Suffer Retaliation for Reporting?

Fear of retaliation should never be an obstacle to reporting an incident of discrimination, harassment or sexual misconduct. Any individual who believes he or she has been subjected to misconduct is encouraged to report, and has the right to seek support and utilize available resources without fear of retaliation. Retaliation for reporting concerns or violations of policy is prohibited by the university. The university prohibits retaliatory conduct taken against any person who reports concerns, files a police report, or files a complaint with the university. Retaliation is also prohibited against anyone who participates in an investigation as a witness. Retaliation is a separate violation of university policy. Sanctions available for sexual misconduct violations are also available for retaliatory conduct. If you believe you have been subjected to retaliation for filing a sexual misconduct complaint, please contact the Title IX Coordinator.