Which organization is the best?

We encourage students and families to view the Judicial History, Standards of Excellence results and Grade Summaries, transparency of the new member program (both formal and informal expectations) to determine the best organization to join.

Can I be involved with my Students Greek Experience?

Many of our UNL groups have parent programs and many have parent events throughout the year in order to give a glimpse of the experience. We encourage all of our parents to be part of the Nebraska Parents Association

How can I find out what organizations are/ have been on probationary periods?

To view the disciplinary status of particular organizations, visit the portion of our website dedicated to judicial history. If an organization is not listed on this site, the university does not recognize it, or the group has no judicial history.

When can my student join a fraternity or sorority?

The Fall semester offers the largest number of opportunities for a student to join a fraternity or sorority. Panhellenic Sorority Recruitment and IFC recruitment are both held prior to the beginning of the fall semester. IFC recruitment begins in May before classes begin for some groups and NPHC and USFC will hold information sessions within the first month of classes. For dates please visit the council websites, unl.edu/greek.

What are the costs associated with joining a fraternity or sorority?

For Interfraternity Council fraternities, one-time expenses are the new member and/or the initiation fee. Recurring expenses include: chapter dues, national fees, social fees and risk management insurance. For organizations with houses, room and board (if living in a chapter facility) may also apply. Many fraternities require meal plans.

For NPHC organizations, the expenses paid upon initiation may include the new member and/or initiation fee, pin fee, national, regional, and local dues. The yearly recurring expenses may include national, regional and local dues and risk management insurance.

For MGC organizations, the totals vary greatly for membership fee and yearly recurring dues. Encourage your student to inquire about each organization’s specific fees.

For Panhellenic sororities the costs will differ on where a student’s joins one of the 14 groups. Costs are higher during the first semester of members but a break down should be given to all students about the cost of living in.

Can my student live in the chapter house as a new member?

Most of all housed sororities do not have rooms available for first year students to occupy. They are typically reserved for sophomore and upper classmen. For the men many of our fraternities have space for first year males to live in the chapter house. There is usually a cancelation fee associated with the moving or breaking out of a housing contract.

What is the University’s stance on alcohol and drug abuse?

The University of Nebraska recognizes that the use of alcoholic beverages by those of legal age is a matter of personal choice. The University required to state that those who choose to drink abide by state law and University regulations, and expects that such individuals will conduct themselves responsibly, mindful of the rights of others. Once again we encourage parents to have honest conversations about your students expectations around the consumptions of alcohol and that it perfectly okay to not to drink. Many of students do not drink.

What is the University’s stance on hazing?

The University of Nebraska seeks to promote a safe environment in which students may participate without compromising their health, safety or welfare. Under this guideline and per Nebraska State Law, hazing is not permitted. All hazing incidents will be investigated and if found to be truthful will be adjudicated. View the definition of hazing, warning signs and alternatives to hazing.

Is my student guaranteed a bid or guaranteed to be able to join?

No student is ever guaranteed a bid or an invitation for membership in a fraternity or sorority. Each organization has membership standards that they are required to uphold. These can include but are not limited to GPA requirements, current/past involvement requirements, or current /past community service involvement. During the recruitment process for Panhellenic organizations women are given information on other involvement opportunities on campus in order to provide them with other options for getting connected to the institution.

When should my daughter/son join?

There are opportunities for students to join many of our Greek-letter organizations immediately. Our IFC Fraternities, especially those with living units, begin recruiting students in mid-May. First-year men have the option of living in a fraternity chapter house. First-year women are required to live in a University residence hall, but may join a chapter during formal recruitment which occurs the week before classes begin. Most students pledging Interfraternity Council and Panhellenic Association fraternities and sororities will join before taking their first class.

Culturally-Based Fraternities Organizations (CBFOs) and Black Greek Letter Organization (BGLOs) have a process a different than used by the Interfraternity Council or the Panhellenic Association. Culturally-Based Fraternities Organizations (CBFOs) and Black Greek Letter Organization (BGLOs) have open recruitment periods that are determined by the specific organization with specific requirements that vary by organization. However, all Culturally-Based Fraternities Organizations (CBFOs) and Black Greek Letter Organization (BGLOs) require interested students to be at least a second-semester freshman enrolled at UNL with a 2.5 or higher cumulative grade point average.

Is there a minimum GPA to be eligible for pledging?

Any student admitted to UNL as a first-time freshman is eligible to pledge. Current UNL or transfer students must have a 2.5 or higher cumulative grade point average. Individual chapters may set a minimum GPA higher than UNL’s minimum requirement.

My daughter called her friends in sororities and they aren’t returning my calls. What’s up?

We’re sure they still like you, but during the week of Fall Formal Recruitment there is no communication with sorority women except during scheduled recruitment events. Recruitment rules say it’s illegal for a member or chapter to contact you while you’re a potential new member. This is necessary for the recruitment process to remain fair and run smoothly.

What is a recommendation?

A recommendation is an introduction and brief description of a young man or woman interested in joining a Greek organization, written by a chapter’s alumnus or alumnae who has first-hand knowledge of the potential new member. It is the responsibility of the chapter to secure recommendations for potential members. Having a recommendation can be beneficial for a potential member but does not guarantee an invitation to join that chapter.

What does my daughter wear during Panhellenic Sorority Recruitment?

Sorority recruitment days are long and hot! The attire during Fall Formal Recruitment begins casual and gets progressively dressier. More specific information on Sorority Fall Formal Recruitment will be mailed during the summer.

What does my son wear during IFC Fraternity Recruitment?

Fraternity recruitment is very casual. What you wear will depend on the activity you’ve been invited to attend. A pool party means swimsuit,sunscreen and flip flops. A BBQ = shorts and shirts. If you have questions, the chapter recruitment chair can tell you what’s appropriate.

What does my daughter/son wear during a Multicultural Greek Council Informational/Rush Event?

This is a formal event similar to a job interview. Students should wear business attire/business-causal.

What does my daughter/son wear during a National Pan-Hellenic Council Informational/Rush Event?

This is a formal event similar to a job interview. Students should wear business attire/business-causal.

Some chapters don’t have living units. Where do their members live and have meetings?

Chapters without living units have office space in the Nebraska Union and generally hold Monday night meetings on campus. Members live in University housing or off-campus.

My son has already submitted my housing contract, but I want to go through IFC fraternity recruitment. What do I do now?

Fraternities usually have room for incoming new members. If you pledge a house with room for you to move in right away, be sure to cancel your contract. The chapter may credit you for some or all of your forfeited deposit.

How do I apply for recruitment before arriving at UNL?

Check out our “Apply Now” webpage for more information about applying for Greek Recruitment. Once you are admitted to the University we encourage you to apply for membership by following the instructions at http://www.unl.edu/greek/apply.shtml.

Panhellenic: Applications May 15- July 15 *If you’re not yet admitted to UNL, visit admissions at unl.edu/apply. The fee for formal sorority recruitment is $100, payable on-line at the time of application.
InterFraternity: Online Interest Open April 15 - August 15 *There is no fee for IFC fraternity recruitment.

Multicultural Greek Council: Contact the office of Fraternity and Sorority life for Informational dates

National Pan-Hellenic Council: Contact the office of Fraternity and Sorority life for Informational dates

If you’re not yet admitted to UNL, visit admissions at unl.edu/apply. The fee for formal sorority recruitment is $100, payable on-line at the time of application. There is no fee for IFC fraternity recruitment.

Can my student Athlete can I join a Fraternity and Sorority?

We have student athletes in Greek organization. We understand that athletics and academics are the priority, and we are committed to working with your schedule. At UNL, it is not unusual for our student-athletes to involve themselves in other campus organizations. Greek Life provides student-athletes with an additional outlet for brotherhood/Sisterhood, academic supervision, and activities to participate in during off-season.

Can an international student can I join an organization?

Yes, International students can join Greek-Letter Organizations. The Greek system is uniquely American, and often an unusual concept for international students. Fraternities and sororities are student organizations that have been part of the American College history for more than two centuries. Being an international student in the Greek Community provides, a great way to foster relationships with other students on campus, get leadership experience, and much more.

My daughter/son identifies as LGBTQA

“The Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer/Questioning, Asexual/Aromantic and Ally/Advocate (LGBTQA+) community at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln includes students of all sexual orientations, gender identities and expression. We are athletes, activists, performers, student leaders, and fraternity and sorority members. The fraternity and sorority community is a microcosm of all of the overall university population committed to creating a welcoming and inclusive campus. If you identify LGBTQA and are interested about learning more about membership, please contact the Fraternity and Sorority Life Office.”