Bacterial friends and foes
Who should apply
- Plant Pathology
This program encourages applications from...
EligibilityParticipation in the Nebraska Summer Research Program is limited to students who meet the following criteria:
- U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident
- Current undergraduate with at least one semester of coursework remaining before obtaining a bachelor's degree
See Eligibility for more information.
About the Program
REU students will investigate beneficial bacteria that produce antimicrobials against bacterial and fungal pathogens. Components of the project include: Generation and evaluation of bacterial mutants to identify genes and pathways responsible for antimicrobial production; Isolation of bacterial secretome to identify specific molecules related to antimicrobial activity; Comparative genomics to identify unique genes and pathways in antimicrobial producer strains; transcriptomics analysis to identify mode of action on target pathogens.
- Competitive stipend: $6,500
- Suite-style room and meal plan
- Travel expenses to and from Lincoln
- Campus parking and/or bus pass
- Full access to the Campus Recreation Center and campus library system
- Wireless internet access
Learn more about academic and financial benefits.
- Department seminars and presentations
- Professional development workshops (e.g., applying to graduate school, taking the GRE)
- Welcome picnic
- Day trip to Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium
- Outdoor adventures
- Research symposium