Policies Regarding Animals on Campus

Nebraska N

Emotional Support Animals (ESAs) may be a reasonable accommodation. Eligibility for ESAs is determined on a case-by-case basis by the office of Services for Students with Disabilities (SSD). Emotional Support Animals, which differ in definition and purpose from ADA Service Animals, must be contained within the privately assigned student living accommodation (room, suite or apartment, etc.).

Please contact us to learn more about the process. Completing the request process several months prior to the semester enhances Housing’s ability to coordinate and provide an appropriate space. Phone: SSD office 402-472-3787 or email: ssd@unl.edu

The ADA defines a Service Animal as “any dog that is individually trained to do work or perform tasks for the benefit of an individual with a disability, including a physical, sensory, psychiatric, intellectual, or other mental disability.” Importantly, other species of animals, whether wild or domestic, trained or untrained, are not Service Animals for the purposes of the ADA. However, under certain conditions, the University of Nebraska – Lincoln will make reasonable modifications for a miniature horse that has been individually trained to do work or perform tasks for the benefit of the individual with a disability.

The service animal must be under the control of the handler at all times and cannot be unattended to disturb others. Complaints about a service animal will be addressed by the ADA Compliance Officer.

The university complies with the Nebraska statute that states “a bona fide trainer of a service animal has the right to be accompanied by such animal in training in any of the places that a service animal is allowed without being required to pay an extra charge for the service animal. Such person shall be liable for any damage done to the premises or facilities or to any person by such animal.”

To be approved to have a “service dog in training” on campus the student must contact the ADA/504 Compliance Officer, Deb Huryta. E-mail: deb.huryta@unl.edu