Big Red Express Auditions
The Big Red Express is a group of 120 musicians that perform at the Men’s and Women’s Basketball games and the Women’s Volleyball matches. The band also performs for selected special University events. Members of the Big Red Express band must meet and maintain full-time enrollment status at UNL and maintain a cumulative 2.0 GPA. Active members (not subs) in good standing are considered for a small scholarship for each semester of participation.
Students who are candidates for the Cornhusker Marching Band have the option of counting their first round marching band audition as their Big Red Express audition.
Please add email@example.com to your email contact list if you plan to submit an audition request form. Check your spam folder if you have not received a response within two to three days after submitting an audition request.
If you still have questions after reading this information thoroughly, please email the Band Office or call 402/472-2505.
Candidates must perform There Is No Place Like Nebraska from memory. Download the music by clicking on the appropriate instrument name below. Brass and woodwind players must also play a major scale displaying range and technique.
Percussion (drum kit only), guitar, bass guitar and keyboard players should prepare a two to four minute solo (your choice of music). Guitar, bass guitar, and keyboard players may also be asked to sightread.
You may play the recording of the fight song to help you prepare for the audition. Please note that this recording is the property of the University of Nebraska-Lincoln and may not be used for any other purpose without the express written permission of the University of Nebraska-Lincoln.
Audition Dates for the 2018 Fall Semester
- Saturday, May 5
- Saturday, May 12 in Omaha (new date: morning only)
- Saturday, May 19
Click to Request An Audition Appointment
Students that live a great distance from Lincoln or whose schedule conflicts with the established audition dates may submit a recorded audition. Recorded auditions must include a solo or etude of two to four minutes in length and a major scale played to two octaves, or the range of the instrument, whichever is greater. Also, please record the fight song, There Is No Place Like Nebraska starting at measure 42. Students submitting a recorded audition do not need to include sight reading. We prefer mp3 recordings but we will accept CD recordings sent through the U.S. Mail. Submit the recording to the Band Office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Instructions for MP3 Recordings
- We prefer mp3 recordings.
- Double check the recording before sending it to us. Make sure that the file opens and plays.
- Remember that we must be able to differentiate your recording from all other applicants' recordings. Name the file with your instrument, underscore, your last name, underscore, followed by your first name, period, mp3 (or the appropriate extension, depending on software used to make the recording). Example: trumpet_Sample_John.mp3
- All applicants must submit an on-line registration form. The Band Office will send recording submission instructions after we receive the registration form. There is no need to submit this form a second time if you have already completed it once this spring.