2024 First Round Auditions
First-round Cornhusker Marching Band brass, woodwind and twirler auditions will be 100% video submissions only. The percussion and color guard will audition in-person with a video option.
All members of the Cornhusker Marching Band must be enrolled as full-time University of Nebraska–Lincoln students and must maintain a cumulative grade point average of 2.000 or greater. Please add email@example.com to your email contact list if you plan to submit an audition request form. This page contains a lot of information, so please scroll down to see audition requirements for each section of the band.
Check your spam folder if you have not received a response within two to three days after submitting an audition request. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions.
2024 audition dates and materials will be posted as they become available.
Brass and Woodwind Auditions
Brass and Woodwind Audition Requirements
Please note ALL marching band instruments are a mandatory rental. This is because the CMB has a matched set of instruments. These instruments will not be available until Band Camp in August.
Brass and Woodwind audition videos will be accepted until midnight on Saturday, June 15, 2024. We suggest that you do not wait until the deadline to submit your video.
A brass and woodwind video audition submission must contain the following elements.
- Short introduction of yourself.
- Two octave major scale as follows:
- Trumpet: C scale (B-flat concert) to player's range
- Horn / Mellophone: F or G scale (B-flat or C-concert) to player's range
- Trombone / Baritone: F scale (G for treble clef Baritone)
- Tuba: F scale
- Tenor Saxophone: C scale (B-flat concert)
- Alto Saxophone: C scale (E-flat concert)
- Piccolo / Flute: F scale
- Clarinet: C scale (B-flat concert)
- Play Dear Old Nebraska U (There Is No Place Like Nebraska) preferably from memory.
You may play the recording of the fight song to help you prepare for the audition. Please note that this recording is the property of the university and may not be used for any other purpose without the express written permission of the University of Nebraska-Lincoln.
The audition music and instructions for submitting video auditions will be sent to each candidate via email. Send an email to email@example.com if you have questions or have trouble uploading your video.
Brass and Woodwind Audition Procedure
- All elements must be done in one continuous, un-edited take.
- The video must be made between the fall of 2023 and June 15, 2024.
- Your face, fingers, valves, keys, or slides must be visible at all times.
- Save the file using your instrument and name, for example: Trumpet John Doe.
Frequently Asked Questions
- The prepared solo requirement has been eliminated for 2024 to reduce video file size.
- The recording of Dear Old Nebraska U (There is No Place Like Nebraska) is for preparation only. Do not record yourself playing along with that recording.
- Students auditioning for piccolo and mellophone may play the audition on flute or French horn
2024 Percussion Auditions
Percussion audition dates and materials will be posted when the information is available.
In-person audition sessions will take place at Westbrook Music Building on dates to be determined. Note that we will follow current safety protocols and social-distancing guidelines. Other safety measures may also be taken and will be posted here or communicated via e-mail to all candidates. Candidates may choose to submit a video audition rather than participate in the in-person audition dates.
Color Guard Auditions
A video of the audition routine, involving both flag work and dance, will be sent via email to registered candidates. Candidates will be expected to learn the routine from the video on their own time prior to the audition date. There will be time built into the audition day schedule for specific questions regarding the routine. Candidates will also be expected to demonstrate basic flag fundamentals, marching and jazz run on the day of auditions. Please wear black, relatively form-fitting clothing so that body moves and position can be adequately evaluated. Candidates may use our equipment during the audition, however, we do not loan poles and silks for audition preparation prior to the audition date.
The 2024 in-person color guard audition dates will be posted as soon as they are available.
Video auditions are acceptable if an on-campus audition is impossible. A choreographed routine, involving both flag work and dance, will be sent via email to the candidate. The candidate will have approximately one week to prepare, record and send their video audition to the band staff. Please frame the camera so that both the hands and feet are visible at all times. Wear black, relatively form-fitting clothing so that body moves and position can be adequately evaluated. Performance videos are not accepted for color guard auditions.
The 2024 twirler auditions will be via video only. Performance videos are acceptable only if it is a solo performance by the twirler candidate.
We are looking for a twirler that is a versatile and exciting performer. We expect candidates to perform a routine utilizing more than one piece of equipment choreographed to your choice of music. Please vary the equipment among multiple baton, knives, hoops, etc. Fire batons are not allowed for this audition.
Twirler Audition Videos due by midnight on Friday, February 23,2024.
The twirler audition video should contain the following elements.
- Briefly introduce yourself and describe the highlights of your twirling career.
- Please frame the video camera so that both the hands and feet are visible at all times.
- Record a two to four minute routine utilizing more than one apparatus.
- All elements of the video must be done in one continuous, un-edited take.
- The audition video must be recorded between the fall of 2023 and February 23, 2024.
- Save the file using your instrument and name, for example: Twirler Jane Doe.